Monday, February 23, 2009

A Great Book for Young Adults

The first entry in what I hope will become a series of entries.

I spent the weekend curled up around a great book for young adults. I am currently on a mission to fill out my summer reading lists for Freshmen and Juniors, which led me to The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

What a great book!! I have to say that at first I was a little distracted by the idea of death being the narrator. Having death humanized made me a little uncomfortable. He was almost a charming sleazy gentleman.

Set in Nazi Germany during WWII, death becomes distracted by a small girl, Liesel Meminger, who he comes into contact with several times over her life. Each time he gives a look at what is becoming of the thieving girl's life.

The last 50 pages required at least 7 or eight tissues as I wept. I would love to include it on the summer reading list for my juniors as I feel that it might be a little over the heads of my incoming freshmen. I only hope that the length (554 pages) does not scare them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment